Match Reports Archive

Under 21 Mid Cork Championship 7th March 2010

Grenagh         1- 6                   Blarney           2 - 4

Blarney and Grenagh renewed their rivalry in the mid cork under 21 football championships in a very cold and windy Donoughmore on Sunday the 7th of March. Grenagh entered the match as the favourites and started the brighter going 3 points clear inside the first ten minutes with the aid of the wind with both Taigh and Liam Walsh sharing the scores.  Blarney had to wait for 15 minutes before Trevor Hegarty opened there account from a free, this was to be Blarneys only score of the half as they really struggled to move the ball against a strong wind. Grenagh capitalised on this fact and looked like they could run away with the game after Taigh Walsh scored a penalty and slotted another two points before the break. 

The second half looked better for Blarney as there movement was much improved and with the wind that Grenagh made much use of in the first half Blarney looked like they would do the same. Mark Cremin, Trevor Hegarthy and Mark O` Leary where lively for Blarney as they tried to claw themselves back into the match. Trevor Hegarty scored from a free and when Patrick O` Sullivan struck the ball home after some hard work in the Grenagh goal mouth Blarney looked as if they would make a match of it. The game then looked like it may be stopped due to a serious injury sustained by Liam Walsh of Grenagh and play was called to a halt to at least 10 minutes. Eventually the player was able to leave pitch and the game continued.  

Blarney continued to try and press but the scores where hard to come by, this summed up by Trevor Hegarty hitting the bar from inside the small parallelogram. Mark O` Leary added a point to Blarneys tally before Grenagh added one of their own. The game was then thrown into life as Blarney where awarded a penalty only for Hegarty to strike it wide. Trevor did manage to add another point through a free but it looked too little too late for the Blarney men although they kept pushing for scores. 

With the seconds dwindling away hard work from Blarney stopped Grenagh from moving the ball out of their own half, the resulting hop ball was won by Blarney and subsequently Blarney won a free. The free sent in by Mark Cremin was pinged around the goal it was finally sent to the back of the net by Patrick O` Sullivan with time up. Grenagh had the chance to get an equalising score with a free from Taigh Walsh but against a huge wind he struck it well wide.

At the final whistle Blarney where victorious in a game of two half, Blarney will move on to the next round while Grenagh will rue the fact they didn’t do more with their first half dominance.


Munster IHC S/F - Evening Echo Friday 21st of November 2008

Blarney 3-9 Kilmoyley 0-7

Blarney hurlers dream season continues to unwind in fairy tale fashion. The latest episode seen the newly crowned county champions sweep to a place in the last four of Munster Championship. And they did it in style - brushing aside the challenge of Kerry kingpins Kilmoyley in their own back yard.

Many experts forecast that Kilmoyley would outmuscle the more refined Blarney machine. But, they failed to reckon with the high octane performance of intensity, passion and will to win of the men in red.

Mark Cremin opened Blarney's account with a point from a free, which was cancelled out by a similar score from Kilmoyley superstar Shane Brick. Blarney got a huge boost when young Colin Murphy's persistence forced his opponents defence to concede a goal. Cremin added another free -before Kilmoyley rattled off 3 points in a row.

Moments later Ross McNamara delivered the killer punch -hammering home Blarney's second goal. Brick, who earlier missed a number of frees, eventually found the mark.  But the Blarney engine was now in full throttle; jack in the box Mark McCarthy and McNamara increased the rebel's point tally, and although the home side did pull a point back - Blarney led 2-4 to 0-6 at the half way mark.

Brick registered the first point of the second half - but it was Kilmoyley's last score of the day. They threw everything bar the proverbial sink at the Blarney defence. But, there was no way past O'Leary; McSweeney; Jordan, Hughes, and O'Donoghue; the inspirational captain Danny Cronin and the imperturbable Ronan Byrne in the Blarney net.

The Blarney choir was now in full voice as they cheered points from Cremin (3), Eoin Hallahan, and Colin Murphy. And when Murphy grabbed his side's third goal the songsters roar could be heard for miles around.

The final whistle sounded. Blarney were winners on a 3-9 to 0-7 scoreline and another page in the club's rich history was written.

Blarney: Ronan Byrne; Danny Cronin (capt), Darragh McSweeney, Paul O'Leary; Joe Jordan, James Hughes, Steve O'Donoghue; Brian Hurley, Eoin Hallahan; Brian Deasy, Mark McCarthy, Johnny Hurley; Mark Cremin, Ross McNamara, Colin Murphy.

Subs: Gerard O'Donovan, Eugene McCarthy, Dave McCarthy.

Scorers: Colin Murphy 2-1, Mark Cremin 0-5 (0-5f), Ross McNamara 1-1, Mark McCarthy 0-1, Eoin Hallahan 0-1

Back to top